My job is already feeling stagnant (and I haven’t been here that long), how do you make a job feel fresh again?
The first step is to get crystal clear on what gives you a sense of fulfillment. Think back to the honeymoon period of your job. What was fresh and exciting about it? What made you look forward to coming into work in the morning? If you are drawing a blank, ask yourself these three powerful questions:
1. Which of my strengths do I enjoy using most?
2. What type of work can I do that will peak my interest?
3. What is important to me at this stage in my life?
Answering these questions will help you to re-connect with yourself. Then you can identify ways of getting more of this type of work. Take the initiative to identify projects or opportunities that will keep you engaged and excited.
Research has shown that when you use your strengths and do work that you find interesting, you will be happier and more successful in your career. Knowing what you want will help you to define the action that you need to take.
Want more Ask a Career Coach?
- Ask a career coach: How do you network? - April 20th, 2011
- Ask a career coach: What is appropriate office attire? - June 11th, 2010