This cover is everywhere lately, and I see both the gross sexist side and the consumer magazine business side. On one hand, it fetishizes high school-aged people and romanticizes a machismo version of polygamy. On the other hand, the people on this cover are all in their 20′s (afterall, they are people on a magazine cover and sex sells. It got a lot of publicity and it just appears to be good business). I feel like as a 20-something in North America I’ve been desensitized to this kind of image (not saying that this is right by any means, because I wish it weren’t so) but I feel powerless to mainstream magazines puking up stuff like this.
So how do you feel about it?
Want more Must-Reads?
- Change is gonna come - November 19th, 2012
- Dear Reader - January 4th, 2012
- Ask a career coach: How can I make my job exciting again? - September 19th, 2011
- Quiz: Would he cheat? - September 16th, 2011
- Quiz: Are you about to be laid off? - September 12th, 2011