…and other revelations from my quarter life crisis.
When I picked up a book called The Happiness Project a little over a year ago I almost felt embarrassed going to the cashier with a book on happiness. After all, shouldn’t happiness be something you either are or you aren’t? Isn’t the self-help section for people who are too cheap to pay for therapy? Is the Chapters cashier judging me?? Anyhoo, I made it out without having a total episode and this book ended up being worth the anguish. Not to be too over-dramatic, but it made me re-examine how I’d been living my entire life up to this point (and I’ll probably refer to it frequently). So here’s one particular quote that stuck with me:
“What’s fun for other people might not be fun for you…and vice versa”
This sounds like common sense but internalizing it was a whole other process. So I made a list of a few things that make other people happy but I secretly hate and would put up with because it’s supposed to be fun.
1. Ice cream- this stuff is like a stomachache in a cone. Plus it’s cold and sticky and there’s no lady-like way of eating it out of a cone and the cone is the best part.
2. Karaoke- listening to people sing the worst songs off-key or even worse, being forced to go up there yourself is the opposite of fun for me.
3. Beer- bloated and burppy are not the side effects I’m looking for when I drink.
4. Driving- I get why some people enjoy this. I personally love being the passenger on long drives, but I’m a mess behind the wheel.
And just in case you think my life is completely joyless, I’ll follow-up this post with one about the stuff I like (that some people probably hate).
Want more Must-Reads?
- Change is gonna come - November 19th, 2012
- Dear Reader - January 4th, 2012
- Ask a career coach: How can I make my job exciting again? - September 19th, 2011
- Quiz: Would he cheat? - September 16th, 2011
- Quiz: Are you about to be laid off? - September 12th, 2011