Ok, how do I say this without sounding crazy? Well, my second quarter life crisis tip for you is to look into your future. Not just sitting and thinking about your life goals or creating a plan (I’ll address those in another post), but to consult a professional. This could mean a life coach, career adviser, or (in my case last Wednesday) a psychic.
No wait, hear me out!
First of all, I am not recommending just any old “psychic” with a neon sign in their living room window. Word-of-mouth is the best way to find a reputable psychic. I met Selina through a co-worker who raved about her work and it sparked my interest to see what she would have to say about me.
So I signed myself and my mom up for a 30 minute session each, and off we went. Selina works out of her home (no neon sign). She led us to the basement where there was a waiting area and down the hall was the room where she does readings (no crystal ball).
First she asked to hold something of mine that hasn’t belonged to anyone else, she closed her eyes for a moment and then just started talking.
Here are some of the points she made about me that were very accurate:
- I have a lot going on in my head
- I am constantly analyzing things
- I have a lot of ideas
Here are some of the points she made that were not so accurate (but keep reading because this also might be accurate):
- I do a lot for other people so I don’t take enough time for myself (I thought “Lady, I’m a single 20-something living on my own. Trust me, I’m pretty good at being selfish especially with my time”…as I write this from a bubble bath)
Here are some of the points she made about my future (mainly job-related because that’s what I requested information about):
- my current job is draining because there’s a lot of direction and work coming from outside sources that don’t leave room for learning and creativity (true!)
- there’s a big transformation coming (true! At the time, I was in the midst of accepting a new job)
- my corporate career will pull me along for awhile, but she sees me going freelance or consulting
- she sees me selling something lucrative
Before I can pursue any of my entrepreneurial aspirations I need to clear out my mental garbage. I always have a lot of ideas but to really see something clearly and make a good plan I need to take some time to clear the weeds in my head. This idea hit me like a ton of bricks! This is exactly how I’d been feeling without being able to articulate it, and I think this might be an issue for a lot of people going through a quarter life crisis. Here are some of the ways she recommends cleaning out your brain clutter:
- being more aware of your thoughts
- consciously replacing negative thoughts with positive ones
(Lightbulb: maybe this is what she meant by not taking enough time for myself. I need to make the time to sit down with myself regularly and do some mental housekeeping!)
If you’re planning to see a psychic make sure you:
1. Find someone reputable
2. Have an open mind
3. Prepare some questions so you get what you want out of the session
P.S Want to hear something spooky? My mom had a lot of questions about her family, and one thing Selina said about a member of my family is that she sees something wrong with their skin. That night that person called to tell my mom they were having some skin issues!
Want more Must-Reads?
- Change is gonna come - November 19th, 2012
- Dear Reader - January 4th, 2012
- Ask a career coach: How can I make my job exciting again? - September 19th, 2011
- Quiz: Would he cheat? - September 16th, 2011
- Quiz: Are you about to be laid off? - September 12th, 2011